Year: 350-300 a.C.
Dimension: Higth 4,5 cm
VI-III century B.C. Tanagra terracotta votive head, her hair centrally parted and drawn back into a chignon, with well modelled facial features.
The mould-cast terracotta Tanagra figurines, produced from the later fourth century B.C., were a specialty of the Boeotian town of Tanagra in Greece where many of them were found for the first time in 1860. The majority of Tanagra figurines depict fashionable women or girls, elegantly wrapped in thin himathia (cloaks), and sometimes wearing broad-brimmed hats and holding wreaths or fans. Previously, in the fifth and fourth centuries B.C., terracotta statuettes had been produced in Athens primarily for religious purposes, or as souvenirs of the theatre. In contrast, the entirely new repertoire of Tanagra terracottas was based on an intimate examination of the personal world of mortal women and children, occasionally young men, and other characters, who are believed to have had their origins in the New Comedy of Menander