Year: 350-300 a.C.
Dimension: Higth 17,7 cm; Lenght 11,5 cm
Recomposed from fragment, right arm and left hand missing
Greek, Hellenistic Period, IV-III century B.C. A terracotta statuette of a female depicted folded on her legs, bent at the knees, her left hand resting on the knee leaning forward, wearing a long pleated chiton and an himation wrapped around her legs, back and left arm, her hair drawn back into two chignons in a complex “mellon coiffure”, remains of marron and blue pigment and white slip.
The mould-cast terracotta Tanagra figurines, produced from the later fourth century B.C. were a specialty of the Boeotian town of Tanagra in Greece where many of them were found for the first time in 1860. The majority of Tanagra figurines depict fashionable women or girls, elegantly wrapped in thin himathia (cloaks), and sometimes wearing broad-brimmed hats and holding wreaths or fans. Previously, in the fifth and fourth centuries B.C., terracotta statuettes had been produced in Athens primarily for religious purposes, or as souvenirs of the theatre. In contrast, the entirely new repertoire of Tanagra terracottas was based on an intimate examination of the personal world of mortal women and children, occasionally young men, and other characters, who are believed to have had their origins in the New Comedy of Menander.