Year: 350-300 a.C.
Dimension: Higth 19,1 cm; Lenght 7,5 cm
Recomposed from fragment.Right arm and left hand lost
Greek, Hellenistic Period, IV-III century B.C. A terracotta statuette of a female depicted standing, her weight on her left leg, bent at the knee, her left hand resting on the knee, wearing a long pleated chiton and swathed in a himation wrapped around her legs, the naked bust, her hair centrally parted and drawn back into a chignon in a “mellon coiffure”, remains of marron, pink and blue pigment and white slip.
The mould-cast terracotta Tanagra figurines, produced from the later fourth century B.C. were a specialty of the Boeotian town of Tanagra in Greece where many of them were found for the first time in 1860. The majority of Tanagra figurines depict fashionable women or girls, elegantly wrapped in thin himathia (cloaks), and sometimes wearing broad-brimmed hats and holding wreaths or fans. Previously, in the fifth and fourth centuries B.C., terracotta statuettes had been produced in Athens primarily for religious purposes, or as souvenirs of the theatre. In contrast, the entirely new repertoire of Tanagra terracottas was based on an intimate examination of the personal world of mortal women and children, occasionally young men, and other characters, who are believed to have had their origins in the New Comedy of Menander.