Year: 1570-1075 a.C.
Dimension: Higth 35 cm
New Kingdom, 1570-1075 B.C. This canopic jar is carved of dark yellow-brown travertine (Egyptian alabaster) with horizontal white veining. It exhibits generally wide proportions with convex, slightly flaring sides that curve inward to a wide mouth. Limestone canopic jar lid carved in the shape of the jackal-headed deity Duamutef, one of the Four Sons of Horus, who protected the stomach. Fractures and chipped, remaining of polychromies. Provenance: Galerie Carrefour, P. Vérité, Paris, 09/03/76
Canopic jars were used to preserve the internal organs of the mummy; that is the lungs, the liver, the stomach and the intestines. (removed from the body during the process of mummification). The process of preserving the viscera started with the interment of Hetepheres, mother of Khufu (4th dynasty) at Giza. By the First Intermediate Period, canopic jars were made with human-headed stoppers or decorated with human-faced masks. By the late 18th dynasty (after the reign of Tutankhamun) it became usual to depict the four 'sons of Horus' as the heads on the canopic stoppers. The 'sons of hours' guarded particular parts of the viscera and were linked to specific compass points. Cod. 44/2000